Are you looking for complete information about “What is MS Outlook?” then you are in absolute place. Without wasting your time, let’s go with this blog.
Here we are going to introduce about MS Outlook which is a task management application. Its free email-client of Microsoft Office and used to access MS Exchange server emails. MS Outlook was initially launched to operate as a personal information manager to operate and access Web-based Email after configuring POP3 and IMAP in desktop and all other devices.
“There are 3 types of Protocol used by Microsoft Outlook (POP3, SMTP & IMAP)”
History of Microsoft Outlook:
Developer: Microsoft Corporation
License: Proprietary commercial software
Application Type: Personal information manager
Written in: C++
Supported Platforms: Windows and MAC OS X
Website: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/outlook (for MAC OS X)
Website: http://www.office.microsoft.com/outlook (for Windows)
Versions: MS Outlook 98 to 2016 for MAC & Windows
Microsoft Outlook was initially launched with MS Office 97. As Microsoft offices increased their versions, Outlook also increased with new and updated features. Have a look the versions of MS Outlook –
|MS Outlook Name
|Office Outlook 2003
|Outlook 2008 for MAC
|Office Outlook 2007
|Outlook 2011 for MAC
|Outlook 2013 for MAC
|Outlook 2016 for MAC
|Outlook 2016 for Windows
The superiority of MS Outlook
MS Outlook provides many features to the user for working flawlessly and securely and also makes user’s conversation secure between clients, friends or anyone. Some extraordinary features are given below; those are responsible to make Outlook reliable and trustworthy. Please have a look-
- This is Desktop based e-mail client
- The user can get previous emails from Outlook without an internet connection
- Outlook is a free and secure application
- Available with high-quality features
- A user can use this application for numbers of email account
- Configure all types of Email clients account like (G-Mail, Hotmail, Yahoo….)
- Outlook store backup file of your complete mailbox data
- In Outlook, a user can configure their Company’s email id.
- Outlook creates two types of data files (.OST file and .PST file)
- Outlook is compatible with all Windows versions
- Import .csv file, MS Excel (97-2016), .vcf file, .ics file etc.
- By using Outlook, the user can schedule their emails for next time absence of internet
- A user can set reminders and appointment
- Outlook supports Exchange Server
- The user can store the backup file of all emails in a systematic format in their local Machine.
File Extension for Microsoft Outlook
As we described that .ost and .pst file extensions are major file formats for Outlook, but apart from these extensions there are various file extensions in Outlook.
- .MSG Outlook Mail Message
- .EML E-mail Message
- .VCF vCard File
- .ICS Calendar File
- .WAB Windows Address Book
- .SIG Signature File
- .RWZ Outlook Rules Wizard File
- .SRS Outlook Send/Receive Settings File
- .PRF Outlook Profile File
- .PAB Personal Address Book
- .OTM Outlook Macro File
- .OLM MAC Outlook Data File
- .OFT Outlook File Template
- .IAF Outlook Internet Account File
- .BCM Business Contact Manager File
Data Files of Microsoft Outlook –
If you want your all calendars, task, contacts, and Emails in Microsoft Outlook, then you have to connect your Email account in Outlook after following some simple steps. After configuration the email account with Outlook, Outlook Email client create two types of data files named as OST file and PST File.
PST Data File: PST stands for Personal Storage Table which is used for storing data of MS Outlook like Emails, Contacts, Tasks, and calendars etc. This file type is mainly created in Outlook when a user configures their webmail account using POP3 and IMAP server absence of MS Exchange server.
- Location of PST File:
- Windows XP: drive:\Users\My Documents\Outlook Files
- Windows 7 & Vista: drive:\Users\Documents\Outlook Files
- In Windows 8: drive:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
OST Data File: OST stands for Offline storage file and it is used when a user is using Microsoft Exchange server with Cached Exchange Mode enabled. In Outlook 2013 and 2016, if the connectivity with IMAP then.OST file will be created in the local end for any type of E-mail ID.
- Location of OST File:
- In Windows XP: drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
- Windows 7 & Vista: drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
- Windows 8: drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
I hope this blog will help you to understand and fulfilled you doubt about what is Outlook? And complete data files of Microsoft Outlook. This blog is completed with all information about Outlook Email client like all types of versions, benefits of application, Data files. If you are satisfied with this matter then please share this blog with others and if you are unsatisfied or you have any doubt about Outlook then please feel free to write us or leave a comment below. It’s my pleasure to help you.